Friday, May 27, 2011

Sticks

I thought that since I probably wouldn't have much more time with them, I should at least share a little about my most interesting pets. I am talking of course, about stick bugs. 


I originally got these guys almost a year ago from an aunt up in Chico (though they are really southern California stick bugs). I had six of them all in a mayo jar with a few rose branches.

To put the size of them when I got them in comparison with the size of this one, they were smaller than my thumbnail when I got them. Yep, these things start tiny and get huge. They lived with plenty of room in a half gallon fishbowl in the bathroom. I have to be honest though, I was lucky to have such a lazy-friendly pet. They can go months with no food! Not that I would wait that long of course!!! And I moved them to a bigger tank when they got too big for the fishbowl.

They were great pets and I always really liked how I could see them swaying slightly whenever they slowly walked.  

Unfortunately, I don't think that they are meant to have very long lifespans. In a few months it will have been a year since I got them, but all but one have already passed on. I'm sure this one won't have much longer either, so I'm trying to make it as nice as possible for it.

0 comments: